9212: Haitian wedding

[Corbett notes:  in response to some member's request
I wrote the woman who asked the question and asked
if she'd send me any responses she got and I'd
post them for all.

She sent this one:]

Hello Carine,

Unfortunately, for the most part, a weeding in Haiti is no different than
wedding in France or in the U.S. The music typically played are
Beethoven's
symphony and whatver religious songs from the person's faith. If Catholic,
the sing catholic songs, if Baptists they sing Baptist religious songs.

Most of the time these songs are not Haitian but American translated in
french - and some rare times in Kreyl.

However there are also for those who dare do so, the Vodoun wedding
ceremony. Apparently, it is very elaborate and beautiful. Drums playing,
signing, dancing, communion etc...

Myself and my wife are both Haitian. We both grew up in strong
conservative
protestant traditions but we decided to Haitianize our wedding as much as
possible, here in Canada.

1) We wore African clothing (in hommage to our African ancestors)
2) We expressed our vows in Kreyl
3) We asked our elders our family and friends to bless the wedding and to
join us in prayer, instead of going to a priest or pastor of a given
religion
3) We sent the invitation letters in Kreyl
4) The food served at the party was all 100% Haitian - complete with
zaboka, bannann peze and Mayi moulen.
and of course we shared jokes, played traditional Haitian songs and danced
to the beat of Haitian Music all night.

We had a great time. We have been happily married for over 5 years now.
Our
first son has a Kreyl name and we are continuing to struggle to bring
Afro-Haitian authenticity into every aspect of our lives.

There are a million things you and your husband to be can do to Haitianize
your wedding. There is no set way to do sa as far as I can tell. Except
perhaps to use the high sense of creativity God has bestowed upon our
beautiful people.

Good luck and have a wonderful wedding and marriage!

Jafrikayiti
Depi nan Ginen bon ng ap ede ng!
http://www.i-port.net/sd-in-j/