9258; 15 book list from 1995

Back in 1995 we had a discussion about the SET of 15
books we as a group would recommend to relative
newcomers to Haiti.  The discussion raged on for
many weeks, and the final list I sent out is below.

I had introduced the question both to have avaialbe
for people like Casey, and to use in my own courses
on the history of Haiti.

THis is our 1995 task and final list:

=====================

Bob Corbett 12/18/95

My original post for discussion of a 15 book reading list didn't do the
job I had hoped -- ending up with a 15 book reading list that could be
recommended to the *relative newcomer* or to students.

PLEASE NOTE: TASK -- It was not to name your favorite books. Rather, what
15 books, taken *as a set* might one recommend to a relatively newcomer to
Haiti, such that if they read the list they would have a fairly good
overview of Haiti.

ALSO NOTE: This is not a list for seasoned scholars, but for relative
newcomers wanting a decent overview of Haiti.

GROUND RULES: The list will be strictly limited to 15 titles. If you
recommend a different title you MUST tell what you would delete in favor
of it, or your entry will not be accepted. If you want a new category,
what book gets dropped from some other category to make room for your new
category and title in it? Thanks, Bob Corbett

===================================

General histories:

1. Heinl and Heinl: WRITTEN IN BLOOD
2. Nicholls: FROM DESSALINE TO DUVALIER

Revolution:

3. Ott: THE HAITIAN REVOLUTION

Relations with the U.S.:

4: Plummer: HAITI AND THE UNITED STATE: THE PHYCHOLOGICAL
	MOMENT

Duvalier:

5. Trouillot: HAITI, STATE AGAINST NATION

Art:

6. Rodman: WHERE ART IS JOY.

Voodoo:

7. Brown: MAMA LOLA
8. Hurbon: VOODOO: SEARCH FOR THE SPIRIT

Culture:

9. Courlander: THE DRUM AND THE HOE

Haiti via fiction:

10. Depestre: THE FESTIVAL OF THE GREASY POLE
11. Roumain: MASTERS OF THE DEW

Relatively contemporary:

12. Farmer: USES OF HAITI

Miscellaneous:

13: Fass: THE POLITICAL ECONOMY OF HAITI
14: Price-Mars: THUS SPOKE THE UNCLE
15: Lawless: HAITI'S BAD PRESS

Hey, I like it. Might be a great syllabus for my next course on Haiti. Bob

Should we reopen this whole discussion?

Bob Corbett