9266; Re: 9260: Public & Private Schools (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

                Public schools VS Private schools

?If you are a well-educated family your children are better of in public
schools not private contrarily to the popular beliefs.? (Senou)

- It depends where. There was a time in Haiti ?Lycée Petion? the best
secondary schools in the country and most of the Haitian intellectuals went
to the ?Lycées?, not private schools. But things started changing in the
late 70?s (when ?quality education? in Haiti started going down), but still
there are some good secondary schools in Haiti; I am sure most of them are
not public now.

?I support a school voucher for all parents who expressed their desire to
remove their children from a failing school, but if the voucher is
distributed to just a few I'm against it.? (Senou)

- But, wouldn?t it be better to analyze why a school is failing? What kind
of students go to that particular school? Just giving a voucher to some
students does not solve the real problem; this is a trompe-l?oeuil; it's not
the best way to eradicate the disease.

?Since local government controls public schools, the people in the community
should request change to be made prior removing their children. My friends,
you as parents have the power to do it (U must be a registered voter as
well). Public schools system is required to follow the state curriculum, how
they are going to meet that requirement if they don't have the resource.?
(Senou)

- I pretty much doubt that most minority parents (e.g immigrants from low
economic background) who are living in urban areas know what?s going on with
the school curriculum, to what extent it can be advantageous to their
children (in x/y school) to prepare them to attend college in the near
future. If we want to take Haitian parents for instance, most of them don?t
know what?s going on in the system here; they just rely on the teachers;
most of them don't know the importance of going to open-house, parents'
meetings, how to check on their kids' progress in school. And the curriculum
in public schools can vary from one state to another.

?Haitian church in various communities shall provide support to those
parents who are unable to help their children by doing after school program,
ask an educated member in their church to assist some parents
during parent conference.? (Senou)

- It depends what type of programs these churches have and funds available
for that. It could also be done on a voluntary basis, but it depends on how
a particular church is organized (in terms of some social programs they may
have). On that note, I would mention the importance of ?the Haitian Clubs in
college? if they really want to do some volunteer works in their communities
(such as tutoring elementary, high school students by going to their
schools), be a big brother /sister to some of these students who need help,
go to these schools to talk to students.

e.w.vedrine