9270: RECENT PRESS REPORTS FROM HAITI (fwd)

From: Stanley Lucas <slucas@iri.org>

RECENT PRESS REPORTS FROM HAITI

(From the Foreign Broadcast Information Service and the British Broadcasting Monitoring Service)

OAS NEGOTIATIONS

FBIS Port-au-Prince Radio Metropole in French -- Centrist commercial radio station

*      Y.NEPTUNE: "The superpower government, the government of force and money is using the OAS, and hides behind a small political group of all sorts that is associated with a small team that is defending the interests of their foreign boss, and who claims to be representatives of civil society. They all get together to carry on the coup d'etat system. [end recording]"

BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Oct 12, 2001 Haiti: Highlights of Radio Metropole news 1145 gmt 11 Oct 01

*       abOn the eve of the arrival of the OAS assistant secretary-general, the FL has once again adopted an arrogant tone. The Interim FL leader Yvon Neptune stated that a plot was being hatched by international institutions with the support of some sectors in Haiti to overthrow President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Oct 15, 2001; Haiti: OAS official refers to "difficult moments" in talks with Lavalas

*       ab[Einaudi] I want to tell you that we have found very significant cooperation on the part of the members of the Democratic Convergence during these series of discussions. And I do not want to deny the fact that there have been difficult moments with certain representatives of the FL. [End of recording]

RESTLESSNESS

BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Oct 12, 2001 Haiti: Priest in Gonaives calls on people to "rebel against the Lavalas regime" Source: Radio Galaxie, Port-au-Prince, in French 1230 gmt 11 Oct 01

*       ab[Sejour] //The former parish priest of La Chapelle has invited all the parents who are not working and who cannot meet the needs of their families to rise up against the Lavalas regime as they did to undermine the foundation of the dictatorship in the country in 1986.//

//According to Reverend Father Francois Alix Joseph, if the masses are experiencing hunger while the government has set itself up as a true magnate of the real-estate business by wasting money through the purchase of luxurious houses, the taxpayers who do not get services must rise up against this government.//... Joseph spoke at the microphone of Radio Galaxie:

[Joseph] //Exactly, as we used to do before, we must start rebelling. I believe that when we reach a situation where the people are out of breath, a situation of oppression and arbitrariness,// insurrection is a necessity, insurrection is an emergency and a right of the people. So, I call on the people for rebellion. I call on the people for insurrection. I call on the Haitian people to rebel against the Lavalas regime //so we can rid the country of this stinking mud that prevents the people from breathing.//

So, insurrection is an emergency today. Insurrection is necessary. We must rise up against the Lavalas regime.
[Sejour] It should be pointed out that Light for All Haitians, //Limye pou tout Ayisyen, LIPAY//, a people's organization close to the Lavalas regime, almost thinks the same way as it demands the implementation of all the laws that give the people the right to work, school, lodging, education and so on.

FBIS Port-au-Prince Radio Metropole in French -- Independent commercial radio station LAP20011015000096 Port-au-Prince Radio Metropole in French 1145 GMT 15 Oct 01

*       abOrganizations such as the National Union of Trained Haitian Teachers (UNNOH), the Lavalas Grassroots Organization (Saj Veyeyo), and Solidarity Organization (Tet Kole) are very critical towards the Lavalas government seven years after Aristide returned to the country. In a note released today, these organizations consider the past seven years as a period of shame and corruption. On the political level, the groups note that Lavalas has done nothing to institute a democratic regime in the country. On the economic level, they denounce the structural adjustment program that Lavalas has applied, and the economic degradation. The organizations invite all the sectors of the population to mobilize in order to lead the country on the road of progress and democracy.

*       abThe Haitian National Police (PNH) is supposed to be looking for several leaders of People's Organizations (OP) who are considered fugitives from justice. More than a week ago, the justice minister had ordered the publication of the photographs of Rene Civil, Paul Raymond, and Ronald Camille in several police stations. Romney Cajuste reports that none of their pictures are posted in police stations. One policeman who was questioned said they only heard about the fugitives on the radio. The police have not been ordered to take any action. The OP leaders, meanwhile, are in Port-au-Prince going about their activities as usual.

FBIS Port-au-Prince Signal Radio in Creole -- Independent commercial radio station  LAP20011015000100 Port-au-Prince Signal Radio in Creole 1230 GMT 15 Oct 01

*       abA tense situation prevails in Boston, a section of Cite Soleil, where tires are being burned now, according to reliable information. This situation is the result of that fact that three persons died during a police operation in this area Thursday evening [11 Oct]. Residents of the area demonstrated against Aristide on Friday. "Down with Aristide; we do not want Aristide in Cite Soleil" demonstrators shouted. By the way, Radio Haiti Inter journalist Jean-Robert Delcine was manhandled by police who were operating in Cite Soleil while he was covering the demonstration.

JEAN DOMINIQUE

FBIS  Port-au-Prince Signal Radio in Creole -- Independent commercial radio station

*       abThe Jean Dominique Echo Foundation, FEVJD, is putting pressure on the Senate to speed up the Dany Toussaint case. Two months after the judicial authorities sent to the Senate the request of Examining Judge Claudy Gassant to lift Senator Dany Toussaint's immunity for the Jean Dominique and Jean-Claude Louissaint murder investigation, the Senate has not yet taken any action.