9309: Haitians in California (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

I enjoyed reading the posts about Haitians in California. I lived in
Berkeley for about 10 years, and still feel extremely privileged to have
been part of what I consider a most unusual community.As Ms. Laleau
mentioned Northern California's Haitian community is composed of an eclectic
mix, of students,professionals, artists, ex-hippies, refugees ect. What was
really fascinating was that under the visionary leadership of men like Max
Blanchet and Pierre Labossiere and Alix Conde this oh-so diverse group was
able to somehow come together around issues dealing with community building
locally and in Haiti.

I have to confess that I was spoiled and very poorly prepared to deal with
the culture shock experienced in Miami.