9324: Lavalas parliamentarians react to apostolic nuncio statement (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

Haiti: Legislators call apostolic nuncio's power-share suggestion inappropriate
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Oct 24, 2001

Text of report by Haitian Signal FM radio on 23 October

The Lavalas parliamentarians have reacted to the statement by the apostolic nuncio in Haiti. The parliamentarians think this statement is inappropriate. The nuncio suggested that President Aristide should share power with the opposition in order to unblock the country. According to the parliamentarians, as apostolic nuncio, Luigi Bonazzi should remain neutral in the Haitian crisis. Furthermore, they say that the Lavalas Family, FL, has already made many sacrifices in order to unblock the country. As an example, they cite the resignations of seven senators They assert that these senators were constitutionally elected. Whoever wants power must necessarily stand in elections.

This is a statement by controversial senators Louis Gerald Gilles and Yvon Feuille, to whom we invite you to listen:

[Gilles - recording] This is a surprise from somebody in the international community who, I nevertheless thought, respected more or less the neutrality the international community should have in the crisis. But, as he has spoken, we must give him an answer. The answer is clear: It is always said that in democracy, sharing power often requires some representativeness. We are reminding the monsignor, the apostolic nuncio, that people win power through elections.

[Feuille] Given the problems that happened on 21 May, these seven senators have resigned. So, any electoral position (?is obtained through elections but not through nomination).

Source: Signal FM Radio, Port-au-Prince, in Creole 1230 gmt 23 Oct 01

/BBC Monitoring/ © BBC.

World Reporter All Material Subject