9418: Re: 9358: Haiti's Bicentennial (fwd)

From: Paulette Smith <psmith@emerald.tufts.edu>

We have formed a New Boston Africa Humanities Group - Interdisciplinary
and Intercollegiate - Africa and  Caribbean,  together with BU, MIT,
Harvard and Tufts (myself)

We meet alternatively at each other's campus.  We had our first
successful Africa-Diaspora event with  Olive Senior (Jamaica) and Edwidge
Danticat last weekend.
(Mongo Beti who was to be our keynote speaker passed away suddenly)
(The producer Jean Marie Teno from Cameroun had to cancel his flight and
appearance,  but sent his films for our screening event)

I am initiating a Commemorative project involving the
students of Haitian descent from our universities, who would present a
paper in English (French and Creole if translators available)

We would invite a KEYNOTE speaker (well known writer and/or movie
producer) from Haiti for  that event.

In this context, I would be very interested to learn about  what other
institutions might be preparing for projects and possibly exchange ideas

I would like to submit those ideas on a Haitian Commemoration during our
next group meeting here.

Paulette Anne Smith, Ph. D.
Tufts University
psmith@emerald.tufts.edu