9503: Food production

From: NLaleau@aol.com

Dear Lawrence--That could be done.  But it would help to have some overall
regional coordination in order not to create new problems. For example: In
the South a number of wells were drilled to irrigate small projects; but
apparently if if not done selectively with regard to water table and
salinity, imbalances occur that damage the soil, making it too saline for
future agriculture. Also--when I commented on the great production from my
squash garden, I neglected to mention that we do have a regular supply of
water all summer long. Also we share the over-production throughout our
friendship circles, as do many local people. In haiti neither regular
water
supply exists nor transport for over-production. Witness the wastage of
produce at Puilboro. --Nancy Laleau