9635: 9633: Re: 9631: 18 November 2003 (fwd)

From: "Dennis R. Hidalgo" <dhidalgo@sbc.edu>

I don't agree with the notion that after the revolution Haiti's destiny has
been in its own hands. To think this way is to ignore the strenght of the
international forces; it is to ignore that colonialism continues in a different
form, yet still very influential; it is to ignore that there has been a purpose
in keeping Haiti down and prove that blacks could not govern themselves. To
think in this way is to ignore the vast evidence that indicate that powerful
countries like France, Spain, Britain, the US, and Holland attempted every form
to avoid the creation of a prosperous state in Haiti because it would have
meant a direct threat to their own sense of superiority (among many other
things). To think this way is to ignore that many other less powerful nations
collaborated actively with this project by leaving Haiti in the air without the
common commercial, social, and cultural support normally given to other
nations. This is true despite seemingly compassionate moves by countries like
United States that gave arms and trade with Haiti. Countries in ocassions
perceived that dealing with Haiti in certain ways could benefit them, but they
were not thinking about benefitting Haiti itself. We can go on and explore the
cultural and social consequences of being the world pariah and how that has
affected the behavior of Haitian politics. We can also go on and analize how
the fact that Haiti started and continued being pushed aside as no other nation
in the world has to do with the fact that Haiti apparently still cannot find a
firm hold. But we are running out of time and space.

To believe that Haiti is completedly responsible for its condition is to think
exactly how the people in charged with international policy in countries like
the United States wants us to think. The propaganda is powerful. The whole
mentality of this new "World Order" even leads us to believe that way. But if
we take a serious look at the evidence and see it critically, we will quickly
look at it otherwise.

This, of course, is not to excuse Hatian responsibility, but to bring the point
that small nations like Haiti are more influenced by the powerful hegemony of
countries like the United States than by internal-domestic problems.

Cheers,

Dennis R. Hidalgo