9661: Re: 9611: Serious error in RSF press release on Jean Dominique (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

Thank you for everyone's comments regarding my allegation that the use of the word "indictment" in the English text was wrong and misleading. I appreciate the responses both on the Corbett list and to me directly, although I thought rude and offensive responses were totally inappropriate.
My final comment is that the last sentence in the original French text was clearly referring to a legal process and that is why it cited May 2001.  Therefore in translating the text it would behoove the translator to refer to the context of the sentence and not merely choose a word from a dictionary without taking into consideration the context of the sentence, which was referring to a legal process.  Further, in translating the text into English, one must choose the most appropriate word amongst the many that the dictionary offers.  Clearly, within this context, when referring to a legal process, and particularly to an audience which is primarily residing in the U.S., the use of the word indictment, in the context of a legal proceeding, and attached to a date, would imply that the person was in fact indicted under the law -- which in this case has not been done to date.  Therefore, I still stand by my original response, that the use of the word was inappropriate and, whether intentionally or unintentionally
, extremely misleading.