9686: Interest on debt: Antoine reveals the secret of Fatima? (fwd)

From: GUY S ANTOINE <guyantoine@windowsonhaiti.com>

In a response to Dr. Allen earlier, I wrote:

"Every one on this list and out should benefit from an authoritative and
final answer to this puzzle of interest to be paid on loans not received.
I am not the first one to have heard this concern. While I cannot establish
its absolute veracity, from where I stand, I would not be so quick to
dismiss it either. (Michelle Karshan, what's the word from the GOH?
IMF experts or employees on this list, what's the word?  We are dying
to know...)"

And we are still waiting for this authoritative and final confirmation.
Off list though, I received the following information:

"The Haitian government met all the requirements set
by the IDB and the loans were approved. However, the
funds have not been disbursed although the interest
is accumulating.  As of March 31, 2001, Haiti owes the
IDB $1,532,684 in interest and $1Million in commission
that have to be paid beginning September 15, 2001 on
money the country never received."

Since I don't know whether I am at liberty to release my
correspondent's name, I'll keep it to myself for now.  I do hope
that those who are in the know would speak up.  This should
not exactly be the Secret of Fatima.

Guy S. Antoine
Editor-Webmaster
Windows on Haiti