9744: Re: Durban Suggests Aid Project for USAID Consideration (fwd)

From: LeGrace Benson <legrace@twcny.rr.com>

Lance Durban asks, "Where is aid going?" if, as the Ambassador said, aid is
in fact going to Haiti.  In Cap Haitian in April, the Ambassador replied to
a similar question thus:"Aid is going into Haiti. It is not going to the
government but to a range of non-governmental organizations." He was asked
which, but did not give specifics. Perhaps this was becasue the list was a
long one.  A list of some (apparently not all) the NGO's receiving US funds
was available to me after an aide in my Congressman's office did some
research. She said it was not easy to get the information.  The list you
would receive today would probably be different from the one I saw three or
four months ago.  It might be a really good idea for SEVERAL people to
request the list through their congressional representatives.  There are
some interesting items on the incomplete list.  legrace@twcny.rr.com