9785: Lavalas leader Neptune blames crisis on national, international , sectors (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

Haiti: Lavalas leader Neptune blames crisis on national, international
sectors
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Nov 28, 2001

Text of report by Haitian Metropole radio on 27 November

The interim leader of the Lavalas Family [FL; Yvon Neptune] is taking on the
national and international sectors a year after the much-debated election of
Jean-Bertrand Aristide to the presidency. According to Yvon Neptune, the
government was not able to respect its commitments towards the population,
notably because of the freezing of international aid. Neptune urges the
population to work alongside President Aristide in order to face up to the
current situation. Neptune said the following:

[Neptune - recording, in Creole] The Haitian people have the right to
exercise their right to choose whomever they want in an election.

[Unidentified journalist] What is your assessment a year later? Are you
satisfied?

[Neptune] You mean the FL? The FL is a political organization. We continue to
work in the field together with the people.

[Journalist] Do you have a special message on the occasion of the first
anniversary?

[Neptune] We want to encourage all the people whom the Haitian people elected
on 26 November to behave like the head of state, who is making efforts
despite the difficult situation, so that the people may get a respite from
the economic blocking that raises unemployment, poverty and death in the
country.

[Journalist] The FL's slogan for the elections was: The year 2001 will be
good indeed. Do you acknowledge that you have not kept your promises?

[Neptune] We acknowledge that it was through hardship that the people were
able to vote on 21 May and 26 November. We also acknowledge that the same
forces that prevented the people from casting their ballots on 21 May and 26
November, those same forces have decided to prevent the year 2001 from being
good indeed.

Source: Radio Metropole, Port-au-Prince, in French 1145 gmt 27 Nov 01

/BBC Monitoring/ © BBC.

Note:  If you do not wish to receive these emails, please notify me by email.
 Thank you.