9810: Re: 9799: MOre on Ferry overloading (fwd)

From: Joanne Kaufman <joanne_jake_@hotmail.com>

Re: Ferry overloading

I took the Freda and/or the Caridad between Port-au-Prince and Jeremie 2-3
times in 1996.  Ditto the incredible overcrowding, and the toilet situation.
Being with a more experienced traveller, we didn't even try staterooms, but
found deck space which was indeed cooler and breezy.  But on Caridad, going
to Port the last time, we were sitting room only: I shared the seat of my
travelling backpack with someone else and talked most of the night. It
wasn't really good sleeping! Some people shared space with the animals and
other cargo that was going to Port.

My fellow Canadian traveller (I'm U.S.-American) was nearly beside herself
with frustration at what she termed a violation of human rights. . .  How DO
people develop other resources to get goods to market without severely
overcrowding available transportation when there are so few connections
especially with the Grandans state?

Best,

Joanne L. Kaufman