9868: Re: 9768: RE: FWD: 9765: Re: 9749: Kozyn adds Re: Slavery - Democracy (RoodyBarthelemy adds) (fwd)

From: rudy barthelemy <kreyolconnection@yahoo.com>

I like and understand F. A. Medard's observations
regarding Hollywood's resentment on valuable
contribution to History, especially about a movie on
the life of our Toussaint Louverture and the Haitian
[Dessalinian] 1803 Revolution.

But with no offense intended, I am adding to Medard's
opinion that:

1)It's not that the cost for costumes and sets would
be only astronomical. Movies like Titanic, the Patriot
(Mel Gibson), the Postman (K. Costner) among many
others not cited here have used a lot of costumes and
sets far from being astronomical.
We ought to have a Speilberg, only a Spielberg, to
have given us a Amistad.  Yet remember what happenned
at the Oscar's that year between a Titanic vs. an
Amistad. Speilberg has not gotten the Oscars which
all, for the most, went to Titanic.  Amistad was
somewhat morally judged, from the many critics I read
about it that year, "too violent", in comparison to
Titanic [too watery, for me].  But no one was too
surprised; perhaps because America has become educated
and accustomed to experiencing verdicts and prizes à
la Simpson.  And really, the part of having to film
parts of such a movie in Haiti is not an issue. The
landscape for the era and the events around this
gigantic chapter of world's modern history can be
easily found in Africa, the Caribbean and in South and
Central America as well, not even mentionning here, in
the US.

2) Paying the actors would not be really more
expensive.  I still believe that Hollywood has never
lacked the money it needed for its purposes.  The
dollars-and-sense aspects of this matter dwell more in
racially-motivated historical profiling and
financially-oriented profit issues than project
expenses.  What that old illiterate negroe got to do
with modern-day WASP America?  Is this subject that
much markettable?... And more, paying the actors would
not be that more expensive since, the majority of the
characters, for this story, would be blacks (for the
heroes) versus a minority of caucasians (for the
villains).  What? What? What again, foot? Ki kote w wè
sa fèt deja? Ala traka papa!  But we all know that
black actors are being paid much less than their white
[and even hispanic] counterparts.  Otherwise Hollywood
would not be that holy. The oppposite could only have
happenned at Bwa kay Iman. Danm wood! But this was
1791, would some say!

3)Medard is right again on this point. It wouldn't be
commercially viable to the American public if it
was to be accurate.  But as of the GOH response and
collaboration to such project, I would certainly
speculate on a loud yes, assuming that only a
government of fools would not seize such [even
individual and/or private] opportunity to enhance its
touristical [hence financial] needs.  As for agreeing
with the script, it depends on which standpoint such
government would stand, this is a secondary issue.  I
know that any revolutionary government would make it a
point to watch for its historical and national
portrayal before the rest of the world.  But I don't
know peremptorily what would be the approach of a
democratically-elected yet convergently-challenged
government such as the Aristide-Cherestal
administration we have now.

4)The country's political situation would have to
simmer down quite a bit before they consider filming.
Yes, although, as an example among many others, Mel
Gibson filmed parts of Braveheart in a not any less
unrest Ireland.  Don't get me wrong on this point but
I still want to point that Haiti's political situation
has never been a threat for foreign visitors,
especially when they look like investors.  This is an
excuse that has been deliberately used against Haitian
politics for years and years.  I have lived much of
the Babydoc's dictatorial years in Haiti. Foreigners
have always been closely protected, especially by the
US Embassy which is doing a trememdous job there for
visitors.  Zenglendos? From 1991 to right now, one can
count on the fingers and yet finds less than five
occurences where foreigners/visitors/investors have
been the victims of zenglendo acts. Rayi chen di dan l
blan.  Haitian hospitality is the only quality left to
Haitians that is not yet stained and tainted by the
American medias, until perhaps another 1804, 2004
being already thwarted...

It is not right that Haitians have to alter their
politics in a way to get acceptance from a specific
kind of visitor, or even a specific country.  Haitians
 do have to alter their political ways for the
national welfare of the Haitian People FIRST.  I want
to support the idea that Haitians should not beleive
that they have to sleep or ceasefire and SHOULD not
normally go about their political rights and stands if
they want "white looking like investors" to visit the
country.

Ayibobo!

RoodyBarthèlemy