9877: One killed, five wounded by Aristide government in St. Marc. , (fwd)

From: Stanley Lucas <slucas@iri.org>

Democratic Convergence
One killed, five wounded by Aristide government in St. Marc. Peaceful demonstration fired on
Aristide government crackdown in St. Marc kills one, injures five. Among the victims Franck René, 70, long associated with democratic causes. The repression was unleashed by the Lavalas local government against a peaceful demonstration organized by the Democratic Convergence to express its objections to the Aristide government. The leaders of the Convergence are in danger.

Haiti: Highlights of Radio Metropole news 1145 gmt 30 Nov 01 BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Dec 1, 2001 2. [06] The anti-Lavalas mobilization showed itself in various forms in some regions of the country yesterday. Strikes and demonstrations were on the menu of activities by the members of the Democratic Convergence to demand the departure of the current regime. In Saint-Marc, however, the demonstration resulted in a violent scene in which a Convergence militant was shot dead and several others were injured by pro-Lavalas partisans. Correspondent Jean-Marie Maillard reports that the demonstrators were demanding the resignation of Aristide and for the US government to remove the Lavalas team from power. They were shouting slogans such as "//Down with corruption, down with insecurity, and long live democracy.//" They were also chanting: "//Aristide is a thief. Send him away. Down with Aristide.//" A moment later, a vehicle full of policemen came to protect the pro-Lavalas people's organizations, despite the fact that they had already killed one person and injured several others. 3. [09] After reporting on the demonstration, our correspondent in Saint-Marc Jean-Marie Maillard was arrested and handcuffed by CIMO [Intervention and Maintenance of Order Company] agents, despite the fact that he had identified himself as a reporter for Radio Metropole. This took place during a control operation. It is an unacceptable situation. 4. [10] The Convergence leaders claim to be indignant after the murder of one of their partisans in Saint-Marc. The opposition leaders encourage the continuation of the mobilization throughout the country to obtain the departure of the Lavalas regime 5. [14] The secretary-general of the OAS is expected in Port-au-Prince today. Cesar Gaviria is coming once again to try to convince the protagonists of the urgency of resolving the political crisis. It is a new and difficult mission because of the fact that the gap between the parties in conflict is getting wider. Gaviria is due to spend onl
mission, during which a clear message will be given to the protagonists: It is time to find a political agreement. That will be the message, according to a diplomatic source who was contacted by Radio Metropole. This visit is taking place at one of the most difficult points in the history of the negotiations that have been going on for more than a year now. The Lavalas power gives more importance now to its literacy programme and calls everybody a terrorist, and the Convergence no longer believes in the negotiation option. Paul Denis said: "//We do not have much hope that the Lavalas Family [FL] will prove itself to be reasonable and wise enough to find a compromise with us on the basis of a political agreement. We therefore say that while we are negotiating, we shall carry on with the work of mobilization. We say clearly to the FL and Aristide that there are three roads open: repression, negotiation or resignation.//" 7. [21] The Catholic hierarchy has issued an urgent call to the FL and the Democratic Convergence. The bishops urge the protagonists to find the indispensable compromise to the resolution of the crisis that resulted from the 21 May 2000 elections. The Episcopal Conference wants to see an outcome in the face of the degradation of the general situation of the country.