9930: Association of Caribbean Media Workers on Murdered Haiti Journalist (fwd)

From: radtimes <resist@best.com>

Association of Caribbean Media Workers on Murdered Haiti Journalist

Thu, 06 Dec 2001

ACM CONDEMNS KILLING OF HAITIAN JOURNALIST

Port of Spain, December 6 - The Association of Caribbean Media
Workers (ACM) joins with the Haitian media community in
expressing shock and condemnation following the killing of Brignol
Lindor, News Director of Radio Echo 2000 on Monday December 3.
We believe there is strong reason to connect his murder to recent
death threats received by him from persons opposed to his choice
of radio talk show guests. We call on the Haitian authorities to take
strong action to ensure that the perpetrators of this crime are
brought to justice in an expeditious fashion. We further urge that
special attention be paid to the safety and security of all media
workers in view of a recent upsurge in violence against journalists
especially in the cities of Port au Prince, St Marc and Les Cayes,
and in Petit Goave where Mr Lindor worked. We recall the
assassination of Jean Léopold Dominique last year and hope that
with Mr Lindor's death and other reports of reprisals against
journalists, we are not witnessing an unfolding pattern of violence
targeting journalists and other media workers.

Wesley Gibbings
President
Association of Caribbean Media Workers
St. Lucia (758)452-2501