a46: Re: France Condemns Coup Attempt in Haiti (Re: #a22; #a12) (fwd)

From: amedard@gte.net

> <<   "France demands all Haitians to show the greatest restraint to avoid
>  blood shedding," said the French Foreign Ministry in a statement issued on
>  Monday evening. >>
> Isn't this the problem right here, or a big part of it?  Why are foreign
> countries "demanding" anything of the Haitian people?

I may be wrong, but I doubt that France is "demanding"  anything of the Haitian
people.  I wonder if, instead, there is a translation error involving the word
"demands".  Probably a French verb stemming from "demander" was used in the original
French statement; probably the English translation would be something more like
"France asks (or requests) all Haitians to show ..."