a130: US role in Haiti's troubles: questions for true journalists (Saint-Vil) fwd (fwd)

From: Jean Saint-Vil <jafrikayiti@hotmail.com>

Onè,

While a lot of attention is being paid to some aspects of Haiti's troubles
«the trees», there seems to be an almost complete black out out over a most
worrysome part of this ordeal: «the forest» or the role the current U.S.
government is PERCEIVED to be playing in the violence that is engulfing
Haiti these days. I read on Metropole that U.S. Ambassador Brian Dean Curran
trashed such concerns that are obviously being expressed by many in Haiti
these days by retorquing «C'est du radotage! (It is a bowl of crap!)».
However, doesn't this quote from a February 2001 article of The Washington
Post worry anyone on Corbetland?

«...see the U.S. military intervene once again, this time to get rid of
Aristide and rebuild the disbanded Haitian army. "That would be the cleanest
solution," said one opposition party leader. Failing that, they say, the CIA
should train and equip Haitian officers exiled in the neighboring Dominican
Republic so they could stage a comeback themselves. »

I don't know about you, but such statements make me shiver. If I was an law
abidding and peace-loving American citizen, I would want to find out more
about this. Especially, when it is not being reported now, but prophesied as
early as February 2001. Not by the pro-Lavalas «mob-leaders» but by a
rightful Washington Post which described matter-of-factly, in the same
article, that «the Convergence was formed as a broad group with help from
the International Republican Institute, an organization that promotes
democracy that is closely identified with the U.S. Republican Party. It
includes former Aristide allies -- people who helped him fight Haiti's
dictators, then soured as they watched him at work. But it also includes
former backers of the hated Duvalier family dictatorship and of the military
officers who overthrew Aristide in 1991 and terrorized the country for three
years.

The most determined of these men, with a promise of anonymity, freely
express their desire to see the U.S. military intervene once again, this
time to get rid of Aristide and rebuild the disbanded          Haitian army.
"That would be the cleanest solution," said one opposition party leader.
Failing that, they say, the CIA should train and equip Haitian officers
exiled in the neighboring Dominican           Republic so they could stage a
comeback themselves. »

Haiti Torn by Hope and Hatred As Aristide Returns to Power, Washington Post
Foreign Service | Friday, February 2, 2001; Page A01 By EDWARD CODY

http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~border/list_articles/020201_washpost_haiti.html

Are there any true journalists left in this world (on this list), who are
daring enough to try to get to the bottom of these strange coincidences?

We who truly miss Jean-Dominique know why we do...

Part of a series of things that make me go mmmh!

Happy Kwanzaa !!!

Jafrikayiti
«Nou pap janm bliye ou Jean-Do ! Today, hypocrits dance on your grave but,
in the end, it is they who shall slip and lose they false teeth.. paske tou
manti pa fon men se li k antere mèt li!»