a195: Re: cohoba use by the Taino (fwd)

From: cr05@gre.ac.uk

Re: Research on the use of Cohoba by the Tiano

Professor Nigel South (Essex University, England) and myself are
editing a new book provisionally titled `The place of drugs in global
everyday life'.  It is a book that will look at the ways that drugs are
used/integrated in societies around the world
demonstrating/illustrating variegated economic, cultural, traditional
or ritual uses.  We are looking for someone to contribute a chapter
on Cohoba use by the Tianout but to date have found it difficult to
locate someone with research experience in this area.  We are hoping
that someone on this list will either be able to write such a chapter or
know of an individual who could.  The types of issues we would like
covered are as follows:

1. How long been used and in what context e.g. as part of
religious ceremonies or as part and parcel of everyday life.  To
what extent has/does this use continue

2. What meaning does the drug use have for the group in
question.  Is  it an `ordinary?(everyday, common) practice or is it
imbued with  special qualities of some kind (only shamans can
use it at certain  times) ? or even both (Rastafarianism)

3. What is/are the aim/s of using the drug/s

4. What problems (as understood by the users), if any, present
from  use of the drug and how are these problems perceived and
dealt with by the users

5. How has use changed e.g. as use has altered from traditional
role  have more problems emerged or are `problems? seen as
being at the  door of others e.g. International Community.  Is
pressure to stop use of the respective drug being applied by
others (local, national or international?)

6. Does use enhance cohesion and integration or is it divisive
and problematic for the culture in question

Chapters would be around 8,000-9,000 words.

Many thanks,

Dr Ross Coomber
Principal Lecturer in Sociology
School of Social Sciences