a223: Boston Haitian Reporter Online - January 2002 Edition (fwd)

From: MariLinc@aol.com To: Bob Corbett <corbetre@webster.edu> Subject:

See: http://www.boston-haitian.com/insidethepaper-jan02.html

Inside This Month's Boston Haitian Reporter

The January 2002 Edition

Featured Stories:

The Poetic Universe of Danielle Georges.

Gonaives is the birthplace of Haitian independence and also of Danielle
Georges, a Boston-based poet who has just released her first book, Maroon.
Charlot Lucien introduces us to this exciting new voice.

Where Do We Go From Here?

Coverage of the Dec. 17 Assault in P-A-P and the Aftermath:

-The Latest Reports from Haiti

-Seven killed in attack on palace

-Phillipe detained on conspiracy charge in Dominican Republic

-Search for suspects continues

Mass Congressmen Throw Support Behind Fight for Haiti Aide, Call for Clearer
U.S. Policy.

Two Massachusetts Congressman: Michael Capuano and Stephen Lynch are adding
their voices to those calling on President Bush to release humanitarian funds
to Haiti.

>From the Publisher: Time for Community to Help Craft Policy

BHR publisher Will Dorcena writes that it's time for more Haitian Americans
to call on our elected officials to take U.S. foreign policy towards Haiti
more seriously.

2001: Twelve Months of Self-Discovery and Progress

Last year will be forever remembered for the horrors wrought by terrorists.
In Boston's Haitian community, however, we should not forget the many high
points of 2001.

Committee Continues to Work for Substance Abuse Prevention

A committee of Haitians founded in 1989 to prevent alcohol and drug abuse in
the community is still going strong, Michaelle Raphael reports.

Port-au-Prince Native Gives Back through Work, Advice

Lionel Charles has helped countless kids by acting as a mentor at Boston
College.

Insurance Companies Continue to Avoid City Neighborhoods

A study released last month confirms what many already knew: if you live in
one of Massachusetts' urban neighborhoods, it remains difficult to insure
your home privately.

Commentary

Changing Our Posture Towards Politics, Politicians
BHR columnist Caleb DesRosiers says that we need to change our perception
about public officials in 2002 and get more involved ourselves.

Arts & Entertainment

Lucien's "Ti Oma" Adds Momentum to Storytelling Movement
A new recording by Boston's own Charlot Lucien adds a new and intriguing
voice to the Haitian storytelling movement.

Check Out the Latest CD Releases

Steve Desrosiers samples the hottest releases for the new year from such
artists as T-Vice, Tropicana D'Haiti and Lov'.

National & International

Connecticut Man Bilked Haitians, Police Say

Wyclef Salutes Kofi Annan

Journalists Under Siege in Haiti

Plus: A complete round-up of news from Haiti and the Caribbean

All of this and much, much more can be found inside the December edition of
the Boston Haitian Reporter.

Call Now: 617 436-1222 x14

Or send a check for $15 for the next 12 editions of the Reporter year to:
Boston Haitian Reporter, 150 Mt. Vernon Street, Suite 120, Dorchester, MA,
02125.

Marilyn Mason, President & COO
Mason Integrated Technologies Ltd (MIT2)
P.O. Box 181015
Boston, Massachusetts 02118 USA
Tel: (+1) 617-247-8885
Fax: (+1) 617-262-8923