a378: Pina commnts on Father Graves (fwd)

From: kevin pina <kpinbox@hotmail.com>

I think Chamberlain goes a little beyond his reach in his latest
mean-spirited attack of Father Michael Graves. As with most of what he
writes, there is a clear detachment from reality on-the-ground as he spins
and twirls the truth like so much cotton candy.

Whatever else may be said of Father Graves, he is a sincere man who has
invested his own life savings into providing education and healthcare for
Haiti's poor. He has founded a school, St. Georges, that subsidizes and
allows 600 children, who would otherwise not have the opportunity, to
receive an education. Likewise, he founded a medical clinic in Meyotte that
provides free and low-fee healthcare for the poor.

In all the time I have known him, I have never heard him proselytize or try
to convert anyone to his faith that did not approach him first. He reserves
his zeal for putting his money where his mouth is in helping the poor to
help themselves. I only wish others could claim as much real interest and
concern for the people of Haiti, whatever their spiritual or political
beliefs might be. I have always subscribed to the principal that it is far
better to judge people on the basis of their actions and not merely the
words that come out of their mouth.

kp