a388: Press Release of 17 Women's Organizations in Haiti (fwd)

From: kevin pina <kpinbox@hotmail.com>

I am forwarding the following press release so please do not contact me
regarding it. For further information please contact: rdol@caramail.com

Press Release:

17 Haitian Women's Organizations Concerned About the Situation in Haiti

Date: Port-au-Prince, January 10, 2002

We, the women of Haiti from 17 grassroots women's organizations, we salute
the determination of President Aristide. Since coming to office on February
7, 2001, he has been struggling to improve the living conditions of the
people despite the many pressures exerted upon him by those who continually
exploit the people.

Therefore we, from the women's organisations in Haiti, have decided to break
our silence. We say to all who pretend to be democrats and work to undermine
democracy, that they have been unmasked. They can fool Uncle Sam but not the
vigilance of the Haitian people. Their goal is not the well-being of the
people but an opportunity to plunder and move on.

Evans Paul and his cohorts accuse the Lavalas government of corruption,
theft and self-aggrandizement.  We ask Evans Paul, former Mayor of
Port-au-Prince and master of intrigue, what park did you ever build in a
poor working-class neighborhood that consists of a sports complex with
fields and courts for soccer, basketball, tennis and playground for the
little children? We do not know of any mayor or president in the past to
have done anything like it. It was the Lavalas government that renovated the
City Hall building you used to occupy.  As you, gentlemen, accuse the
Lavalas government, remember that no one is free of allegations; we
certainly have not forgotten the many allegations against you.

We, the women of Haiti state our full support of the programs continually
being implemented by Lavalas in the fields of literacy, cooperative
development, road construction, schools, radio (educational) and television
(educational) for the children, improving local hospitals, scholarship for
students, creation of universities and other initiatives that we did not
mention.

We are asking the supporters of the Convergence and all their allies who are
preventing the country from moving forward to reflect. Who really loves the
people and is defending their interest?

We say thank you to China, Cuba, Taiwan for the support that they are giving
to the people of Haiti living under such misery. We are asking the other
governments why are they blocking aid to Haiti? We believe it is because
they want to force the people to accept the Convergence contrary to the will
of the electorate.

As 2002 begins, we ask all those who want the democratic process to move
forward to give Haiti a break; the country is suffering deeply. We the
women, symbols of nurturing and life-giving, stand firmly with you,
President Aristide. We wish that all the plotters of coup d'etats,
putschists and terrorists cease their activities. We will not negotiate the
mandate given to President Aristide.

We deplore the consequences of the attempted coup d'etat of December 16-17
and we denounce all forms of violence from any sector but the people's will
cannot be overthrown. As we condemn these violent acts, we also recognize
the people's expressed anger against those who seek to undo the will of the
electorate without going through the democratic process.

In conclusion, as we approach 200 years since the declaration of Haiti's
independence, we call upon everyone to strive for greater understanding,
learn to sacrifice for each other, and love one another so we can walk the
road of democracy together.

List of signatories:

Association Femmes de Delmas 66  (A.F.A.D. 66)

Organisation des Femmes Unies de Berte  (O.F.U.B.)

Centre des Femmes Progressistes de Delmas   (C.F.P.D.)

Asosiyasyon Fanm  3em Seksyon

Asosiyasyon Fanm  5em Seksyon

Oganizasyon Fanm  7em Seksyon

Association Femme Haitienne de Bourg -Campagne  (A.F.H.B.C.)

Femmes Progressistes de la Jeunesse d'Haiti  (FEPROJED)

Gwoupman Fanm Sitron Malik  (G.F.S.M.)

Oganizasyon Fanm Vanyan Tet Dlo  (O.F.V.T.D.)

Asosiyasyon Fanm Djobel   (A.F.D.)

Fanm Aktif nan Sopidep  (F.A.S.)

Rasanbleman Fanm nan Petyonvil  (R.F.A.P.)

Mouvman Fanm Solid Riyel Kretyen   (M.F.S.R.K.)

Asosiyasyon Jenes Ayisyen pou Devlopman   (A.J.A.P.D.)

Mouvman Men Kontre  (M.K.M.)

Oganizasyon pou Devlopman Boukan Lapli  (O.D.B.L.)
Nòt de Près: 17 ÒGANIZASYON FANM Konsène sou Sitiyasyon an Ayiti

Dat: Pòtoprins 10 janvye 2002

Nou menm 17 òganizasyon fanm nan peyi dayiti  ki baze  nan seksyon kominal
yo, nou koube byen ba devan detèminasyon Presidan Aristid ki depi 7 fevriye
2001 ap batay pou sòti pèp la nan mizè malgre tout kalamite l ap andire ak
yon pakèt sansi kap souse san pèp la sou pye. Se poutèt sa nou menm
òganizasyon fanm nan peyi dayiti, nou sòti nan silans nou  pou nou di tout
moun ki pran kouvèti demokrat, defansè pèp papa bon kè, nou dekouvri chodyè
a nou jete kouvèti a. N ap pwofite di yo menm bouki fè filozofi l, si yo ka
twonpe Onk Sam, yo pakab twonpe vijilans pèp ayisyen an. Nou konnen pa gen
anyen serye yo ka regle pou pèp la paske se piye selman yap vin piye apre
pou yo mache ale. Nou tande Evans Pòl ak tout rès akolit yo di gouvènman
Lavalas la pote koripsyon, vòl ak piyaj, e depi ki lè prezidan konn inogire
plas piblik. N ap di Evans Pòl, ansyen majistra Pòtoprins, eske li konnen
yon majistra ni yon prezidan ki te janm inogire okenn plas piblik jan nap
konstate jodi a e si li konnen youn, fè nou konnen. Nou pap bliye fè li
konnen menm kote palè li a te ye a se gouvènman Lavalas ki te bal valè sa.
Ki plas li janm fè kòm ansyen majistra magouyè ki gen 4 klm tè e ki gen yon
teren foutball, baskèt, tennis, pak de je pou ti moun nan yon katye popilè.
Sou koze volè ak koripsyon, mesye yo fò lan akize moun tribò, babò. Nou pa
bliye pil akizasyon ki sou do pa yo. Alò mesye tanpri, sispann foure dwèt ou
nan gòj pèp la pou l pa mete kaka chat nou deyò. Abon antandè sali. Nou fanm
dayiti, n ap fè konnen lapli pa lapli, lavalas fenk kare desann
alfabetizasyon, kooperativ, wout, lekòl, radyo, televisyon pou ti moun,
renovasyon nan lopital, bous pou elèv, kampis inivèsite, plis sa nou pa
site. Alò n ap mande sipòtè konvèjans yo ak tout lòt antite ki pa vle peyi a
vanse fè yon reflechi, kilès ki renmen pèp la ou byen k ap defann li. N ap
di mèsi pou Lachine, Kiba, Taywonn, pou tout soutni yo soutni pèp la nan
mizè li. Nou mande gouvènman entènasyonal yo pou kisa yap bloke èd pou peyi
dayiti. Yap sèlman mete presyon  pou pèp la asepte konvèjans nan pouvwa e
nou konnen se yon sèl mwayen pou moun rive nan pouvwa se sèlman pa eleksyon.
Nan kòmansman ane 2002 a, n ap mande tout moun ki vle demokrasi avanse, bay
peyi dayiti yon chans, li pa kapab sipote ankò. Prezidan Aristid, nou menm
fanm senbòl ki bay lavi, nou kanpe dèyè ou rèd. Nou ta swete pou tout
konplotè koudeta, tout poutchis, tout teyoris pou rete nan wol yo. Nou pap
negosye pou okenn rezon pouvwa Prezidan Aristid. Nou regrèt tout konsekans
atak koudeta 16-17 desanm nan e nou pwoteste kont tout fòm vyolans kèlkan
swa kote l sòti. Nou di ideyoloji pèp la paka kontrekare. Se vre ke nou
kondane zak vyolans yo, men pèp la jou sa tap manifeste mekontantman l kont
tout moun ki vle pran pouvwa nan daso san ke se pa nan eleksyon. Men sa n ap
voye kòm mesaj final nou, devan 200 zan endepandans: li lè pou nou youn
aprann konprann lòt, pou nou youn aprann renmen lòt, pou nou youn aprann
soufri pou lòt pou n ka fè chemen demokrasi ansanm. Moun ki siyen nòt sa a.