a586: BBC: Haiti: Journalists' leader: international community should set accord framework (fwd)

From: Robert Benodin <r.benodin@worldnet.att.net>

Haiti: Journalists' leader: international community should set accord
framework
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Feb 1, 2002

The secretary-general of the Association of Haitian Journalists [AJH] also
had a meeting with the Caricom [Caribbean Community] delegation yesterday.
During the meeting, Guyler C. Delva pointed out the serious attacks against
freedom of the press that have occurred in the country. Delva also hopes
that the international community will get involved in a tangible way in the
search for a solution to the crisis in Haiti. Delva has said the following:
[Delva - recording, in Creole] We expressed our points of view on the
situation of the press in the country. They asked many questions about that
and they seemed to be very concerned about the situation of the press in
Haiti. They also questioned us about the political problem and asked for our
opinion regarding the solution to the crisis. We discussed the situation
with them for more than an hour.
One of the important things I pointed out to them is that the international
community needs to play a more tangible role in the negotiations. That means
they should not continue to remain as observers hoping that the Haitian
protagonists will reach an agreement among themselves. That is fine. But I
do not mean to say that they should meddle in the country's internal
affairs. I think that the international community already has a vision of
what could be acceptable for them within the framework of the resolution of
the crisis.
We think that the OAS and the international community should set a framework
within which the Lavalas Family [FL] and the opposition would be able to
find an agreement.
Source: Radio Metropole, Port-au-Prince, in French 1145 gmt 31 Jan 02
/BBC Monitoring/ © BBC.