a832: Vodoun, a better path to morality (fwd)

From: Moibibi@aol.com

First, I would like to thank Prof. McAllister for a most interesting excerpt
from the paper she is writing,

I want to offer a brief comment on one simple sentence:
"Hurbon reports that a third of Haitians are now Protestant."

This is a considerable increase of "conversions" that have happened after the
Duvaliers departure.
Since then, everybody has noticed a huge escalation of immorality and crimes
in Haiti. The list is long, but let's just mention a few, such as:
-   Thefts
-   Drugs
-   Rape
-   Prostitution
-   Pedophilia
-   Assassinations
-   Etc.

Moreover, it's a fact that the majority of the population has been greatly
impoverished and laziness has is become more noticeable among the new
Protestant converts. Who needs to work when food is apparently distributed
"gratis ti cheri"? Who has the possibility to work when often asked to go on
fasting and travel to evangelize the pagans several weeks a year?

One has to admit that the missionaries have little impact on teaching their
followers about moral values; I would even say that they attract those who
are already ambivalent about it.

One also has to admit that, in the past, Vodoun leaders have demonstrated a
much superior approach to keep their adepts on the path of morality, respect
of oneself and dignity.

Bébé Pierre Louis

Food for thought:

-   "Take away the cause, and the effect ceases." (Cervantes)
-   "My advice is to look out for engineers. They begin with sewing machines
and end up with nuclear bombs."(Marcel Pagnol)
-   "Christianity, above all, consoles; but there are naturally happy souls
who do not need consolation. Consequently, Christianity begins by making such
souls unhappy, for otherwise it would have no power over them. (André Gide)
-   The Bible is one of the most genocidal books in history. (Noam Chomsky)
-   Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in
horror. (Voltaire)