a895: (a324) RSF in Haiti: Chamberlain comments on Pina (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

This is going back a bit (13 Jan 02), but I noticed the following while
clearing out some old Corbettry and it calls for a response.  It was not
challenged at the time.

> From: kevin pina <kpinbox@hotmail.com>

> I interviewed a prominent Haitian author yesterday and asked him what he
> thought of Reporters Without Borders involvement in Haiti. He immediately
> reminded me that the French government never had problem supporting
> Duvalier's regime for 28 years. Mr. Menard would have never been let into
> the country under that regime, or subsequent ones for that matter, better
> yet than be given the press attention he is currently receiving in Haiti.

1. Reporters Without Borders has nothing to do with the French government.

2. Amnesty International missions came and went quite freely during the
1971-86 Duvalier years and later.

3. Reporters Without Borders' first mission to Haiti was in 1993, under the
army dictatorship.  Its members were interviewed on both state and private
TV stations and moved without problem around the country, speaking to who
they wanted.

        Greg Chamberlain