a903: Haitians in U.S. Census (Re: a898 re: Pierre Jean on Cuomo's Haiti visit) (fwd)

From: amedard@gte.net

> So, the issue is how many (and what percentage) of the New York State Haitians are citizens of the U.S.  and can vote there?

That is an interesting question, Tequila.  I hope that someone has the reply.

I would also like to know statistics related to how many Haitians are currently estimated to

   * reside in southern FL
   * reside in NY
   * reside in Massachusetts
   * reside in the U.S.
   * how many are citizens
   * how many  are illegal

Interesting information:

While the 1990 U.S. Bureau of Census' stats estimated the total U.S. Haitian population to be 280,874, I suspect that most
illegals were not included in the census and that the current figure is much higher.  I would like to know what current figures
are; does anyone know?

These same 1990 U.S. Census stats report 70.9% of the U.S. Haitian population to be foreign born; 57.9% entered the U.S. between
1980 and 1990; 42.1% entered the States before 1980; and 26.2% were naturalized citizens.  The median age was reported to be
29.5 years old.  The sex ratio was reported to be 100.2 (I'm not sure how to interpret that).

87.8% were reported speak a language other than English; 47.0% did not speak English "very well"; and 30.4% were reported to be
in linguistically-isolated households.

163,990 were reported to be 25 years and older.

111,331 were reported to be 3 years or older and enrolled in school.  58% were reported to have a H.S. diploma or higher.  12.2%
were reported to have a Bachelor's degree or higher.  4.4% were reported to have a graduate degree or higher.

201,968  Haitians were reported to be in the U.S. labor force; (75.9% in the civilian labor force.  Of this 75.9%, 46.6% were
reported to be female and 53.4% male.  The percent reported to be unemployed was 12.1%.

The median household income was reported to be $25,547.  The median family income was reported to be $25,651.  The percent of
persons living in poverty was reported at 22.2% and the percent of families living in poverty was reported at 20.7%.   53% of
the households were reported to have 4 or more persons.