a983: Re: a960: Comments on Rice Scandal (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 02/27/2002 11:02:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
joann.jaffe@uregina.cawrites:

<< "Se pa fot mwen"
 indicates both more and less than the previous poster indicated. Rather
 than the moral lack indicated by an inability to take responsibility,
 it really means "I didn't do it on purpose and therefore am not to
 blame."  This speaks to the motivation behind the action, which one
 could argue indicates a higher level of moral reasoning than simply
 considering the action alone.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
(responding to the original poster as JoAnn Jaffe is)
It also denotes a lack of self-determination, either real or perceived.  When
people feel out of control and lack of power in their lives, they may find
themselves in situations not of their own making.  Even those who want to
take responsibility for their lives, may not have that option open to them
because of outside factors.  If people are denied access to education, jobs,
food, and potable water, is it their fault that they are poor and unable to
better themselves or their families?  It is a luxury in Haiti to be self
actualized.  Isn't that what we are all concerned with?  Don't we all want
all Haitians to enjoy the rights we have here in the US?  Especially the
right to pursue happiness?  Among others.  If you have access and choose not
to take advantage of it, then you have no leg to stand on when you say, "Se
pa fot mwen." And anyway, I think it's boorish to expect other cultures to
adopt our value system, such as it is.  I am much more willing to give
latitude to majority class Haitians who have access problems than I am with
privileged Haitians who should know better.  Noblesse oblige, you know.

Kathy Dorce~