a1035: Re: Islamic Groups in Haiti (fwd)

From: Philip Richter <philipcrichter@hotmail.com>

I was forwarded an e-mail a brief while ago from an autonomous foreign
government international assistance foundation. I don't want to give their
name on the list because they probably didn't expect and may not want me to
go on the list with this. In fact, I hope they don't even see this. They
want to know more about and maybe contact at least the Islamic group
mentionned in the exchange on the list a week ago that resides in the North,
if not others, also Islamic groups that might be performing oeuvre for the
poor, doing social advocacy, or research in Haiti that are based in the
country or abroad. It may be the foundation only wants background, but its
worth a shot. You can contact me off the list if you can and want to share
information and I will give you the name of the foundation, and the e-mail
address of its Haiti liason, who is a Muslim himself. I have known this
foundation's work and reputation in Haiti for 22 years, and I was acquainted
with the former liason and can vouch for and explain his attitudes and
beliefs - he supervised the funding of a program that was associated with
one I worked on. They stick to local groups, they don't abandonned them due
to diversions of opinion that evolve, as others sometimes do. I am 99.9%
sure they are not looking for Al Quaida. The group is autonomous, there is
no oversight from the government it is attached to.
   Waiting to hear from you.
   Phil R.