a1048: Re: a1036: Durban on New Role for US Ambassador (fwd)

From: GERALD LOVELL <nuvision1@msn.com>

I am fairly new to the Corbettland, but have spent the major portion of the last 15 years in Haiti (specifically, Montrouis, Lanzac, St. Marc, Chardenne, Dupin, Degeance and Paresse.  Some of these villages are on National highway one and some are up in the mountains, quite some distance from any main road and a couple are accessible only by donkey or foot.  All of that to say I have seen most of Haiti, up close and personal.
My experience has taught me a few lessons about people.  In my 57 years, I have been in business (big business with executive positions), law enforcement (police officer, administration and consulting), teaching (high school, Christian Bible School, seminary) and pastoring churches (denominational and non-denominational).  Whew!  No wonder I am tired. :-)
Haitians are not as unique as some of you Corbetters believe nor are they as common as others may believe.  Haitians are about as definable as Italians or the French or the British or the Canadians or the Americans or the ????.  There are sweet, wonderful Haitians by any definition of those terms and there are rotten-to-the-core Haitians (your choice of defintions) JUST LIKE THERE ARE IN ANY PEOPLE OR COUNTRY!  Contrary to some stated opinions on this net, social, cultural and economic conditions are not always the shapers of one's destiny.

It may well be that the U.S. has created some of the problems that exist in Haiti and in others parts of the world, but to constantly harp on the negatives without at least nodding recognition of the good the U.S. has done, is to be as unfair and biased as you accuse the U.S. of being.

Lance, if you (and some others on the net) are so "anti-U.S." efforts in Haiti, why would you place the responsibility of the "performance of the local Haitian economy" upon the U.S. Ambassador to Haiti?  How and what would the Ambassador do to influence the Haitian economy - either way?

Also, many of the voices on the net and the opinions expressed are so angry at the U.S. - reason is seldom evident.  It appears that several of the more vocal antagonists of the U.S. presence and involvement in Haiti wish the government of the U.S. would give Haiti and Haitians unlimited funds with no expectations of its use (or misuse) and certainly they should have no right to demand accountability.  By the way, every U.S. dollar of every fund given to Haiti since the very first dollar given has come out of some U.S. citizens' paycheck, savings account or pocket.

If I buy a bicycle, I have the right and the right to expect that it behave and perform like a bicycle.  If, as a government, I give money to feed the hungry, educate the unlearned, clothe the naked and heal the sick, I have the right to see the desired results and to expect that those funds go to the purposes for which they were requested and not into the pockets of politicians (regardless of party affiliations) and the wealthy.

The economic and political system adopted in 1776 for the U.S. has worked well and the citizens of the U.S. are proud of her achievements.  While not perfect, and at times far from it, it still gives the most people the most freedom and the most opportunities of any other system known to or devised by man.  Yes, there have been glaring failures in the history of the nation, but one of America's strengths is that instead of dwelling on the negatives, by and large, she has tried to correct and learn as she goes.

Excuse me while I get down off my soapbox, but I happen to love America and I walk with a limp today from going off to fight in the armed forces while not personally agreeing with the method used to fight the war that wasn't a war.  Just like Haitians who say, my country and I love it even if I don't love everything about it.  While in Port-au-Prince a couple of months ago I saw a bumper sticker that caused me to chuckle (ironically).  It said, "No Telehone, No Electricity, No Water, but I still love Haiti."

As for public opinion of the U.S. by Haitians, or anyone else, their opinion is their opinion.  Nothing will change anyone else's opinion but themselves.   Several years ago during the embargo years, a blight struck the coconut palms along the coastline from Montrouis to just south of St. Marc.  I was talking to some local farmers about the problem and I asked one of them what caused the blight?  There unified response was (this is as close to a quote as I can recall), "President JOHN Bush sent some small planes over late at night and sprayed the trees so they would die."   Nothing said would change their minds.  This is what they KNEW!  How?  They just knew it!  Never mind that the majesty palms next to the coconut palms were untouched.  Some people, for whatever reason, will see a white dove as a black crow and a black crow as a white dove.  Some people want to see cultural and behavioral differences as racial or racism when, in truth, most of it is just plain old simple differences in human beings or ignorance.   Is there racism in the U.S.?  YES!!  Is there racism in Haiti?  Again, YES!  You act different than I do, so you must be the one that needs to change.  NOT!    It isn't necessarily racist, we're just different, that's all!  In the U.S. there are good people and bad people, good politicians and bad politicians.  The same is true of every nation and people.  It is up to the goodness (you define it, Mambo) to overcome the evil.  Personally, I'd rather work toward a positive goal than to keep harping about the failures of the past and trying to find someone to blame.  I want to find solutions, not affix blame.

And, Lance, the U.S. really DOES want to help, but President Bush's administration expects accountability and some of the power structure in Haiti wants none of that.  It isn't really as deep and dark a conspiracy and collusion as some believe.

Thanks for letting me vent.