a1054: Re: a1048: Dorce to Lowell on New Role for US Ambassador (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 03/04/2002 11:14:59 AM Pacific Standard Time, GERALD
LOVELL <nuvision1@msn.com> writes:

<< If I buy a bicycle, I have the right and the right to expect that it
behave and perform like a bicycle.  If, as a government, I give money to feed
the hungry, educate the unlearned, clothe the naked and heal the sick, I have
the right to see the desired results and to expect that those funds go to the
purposes for which they were requested and not into the pockets of
politicians (regardless of party affiliations) and the wealthy. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
This is an excellent analogy and you should have continued with , "and if, as
a government, I buy a country, I have the right to impose my values and
agendas on that country."   If it were a matter of giving aid to help the
people of Haiti and expecting that the money indeed be used to better the
lives of same people, then you would be right.  But aid is not given for that
purpose.  I am cynical about my governments motives and actions in Haiti.  I
used to bleed red, white and blue until I became familiar with Haiti.  It
would be wonderful to believe we are altruistic but we are not.  We serve the
rich, just like poor Haitians do.   Lance Durban is not anti-US, he is
struggling to be even handed, giving both sides their due.  Me on the other
hand, I hold my country up to the highest standards and find it wanting.  I
am bitterly disappointed.  We (our government) should be the good guys.  Our
image has suffered in Haiti and that is why Durban suggests that some repair
is in order.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
<<There unified response was (this is as close to a quote as I can recall),
"President JOHN Bush sent some small planes over late at night and sprayed
the trees so they would die."   Nothing said would change their minds.<<
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
What, his name is not JOHN Bush?  If those people thought that, did they make
that determination in a vacuum?  No.......they have been betrayed by the US
and they in turn believe any number of sinister plots against them.   If they
saw good things coming from the US, they would fall all over themselves to
love America.  It has always been so in the past.  But now they see that it
is not them the US wishes to save, but the elites, who have always been their
tormentors.

I too wish to love my country but until the ends do not justify the means, I
will continue to be cynical and not believe that our government has the
Haitian peoples best interests at heart.

Kathy Dorce~