a1074: a1029: Re: a1006: Evangelical Christianity in Haiti and the "pact with Satan", from Mambo Racine (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

I am glad that so much discussion has come about because of this topic.  And I am disappointed that so much deterministic, paternalistic theology is still being promoted by modern Christians.

I am going to confine myself to discussing how these ideas affect *Haiti*, I am not going to embark on a strictly theological dialogue here.

dotiej@hotmail.com writes:

<<Evangelicals...advocate for [EVERY] country [to be] ruled by "Jesus"!"
Also, in theological terms, it isn't about "a right to force their way of
life onto people who may not be members of their religious group," but abouta responsibility/privilege to spread the "Good News" about Chris>>

In Pakistan, Islamicist mullahs offended by the relative liberty of female American Peace Corps volunteers advocated that Pakistani men "forcibly marry" them - a code word for rape.  At least one such woman was murdered during her "forcible marriage".  Those men felt it was their responsibility and privilege to do what they did too.  That doesn't make it any less destructive.

<< as the spiritually-aware being that you claim to be, it seems self-defeating not to acknowledge that humans--even when pursuing spiritual ends--do not always act out of the spirit.>>

Fine.  Christians did not "act out of the spirit" when they subsidized and paticipated in the slave trade, or when they rampaged through Haitian hamlets burning and destroying peristyles, raping and beating and killing Mambos, torturing and murdering Houngans.

Wonderful, they didn't "act out of the spirit".  So what do you think - now that you have said that, case closed?  Not a chance.  You Christians must begin to take responsibility for your actions - if you don't agree with what is being done in the name of Christ, go militate to the perpetrators, not to Vodouisants.  Get your own house in order.

<<As for the "deal with the devil" at Bwa Kayiman, although I see how it could come about...>>

You DO????

Well, I guess you know more about "deals with the devil" than we Vodouisants, we wouldn't know how to begin trying to strike a "deal with the devil", Satan is not part of our cosmogeny.  How, if you please, do you think that the Africans present at Bois Caiman would have been able to summon and negotiate with Ol' Scratch?  By what method?  What incantations and what precautions?  Good gosh!

<< I do not see its relevance to "Evangelical Christianity" in general. ....>>

You DON'T??

Evangelical Christianity in Haiti, without exception as to denomination, arrogantly preaches that Vodou is "Satanic".  Surely you are aware of this?

<<Conversion isn't about the evangelist; its about God and what He wills>>

If you believe that God wills the destruction of the Vodou religion, then this belief allows you to rationalize the use of force against us.  Surely you see this too!

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html