a1078: Philadelphia Daily News 03-04-2002 Canada wants Dalembert (fwd)

From: Stanley Lucas <slucas@iri.org>

Posted on Mon, Mar. 04, 2002

Canada wants Dalembert
By PHIL JASNER
jasnerp@phillynews.com

TORONTO - Samuel Dalembert, the 76ers' rookie center and first-round draft choice, was being recruited yesterday.
And if he completes the necessary paperwork, there is every chance Dalembert could become a key figure with the Canadian national team in the World Championships in Indianapolis this summer.
Dalembert's mother is a Canadian citizen, making him eligible for the Canadian national and Olympic teams. Dalembert, born in Haiti, lived for three years in Montreal, attending high school there.
"With Steve Nash, [former Sixer] Todd MacCulloch and Samuel, we'd be all right," said Jay Triano, the Canadian coach.
Saint Joseph's University senior Damian Reid, also from Canada, has tried out for the national team in the past, but Triano said he had not been impressive.
Triano visited with Dalembert before the Sixers' 96-84 victory yesterday over the Toronto Raptors. Dalembert, who has played in brief spurts this season, is on the injured list and won't be eligible to be activated until three more games go by.
"[Playing for Canada] is something I've been looking forward to," Dalembert said. "The more experience I can get, the better. I think it would help me tremendously playing against guys my size in real games. It can only be a good thing."
Sixers coach Larry Brown said Dalembert, who played two seasons for Seton Hall before turning pro, has made major strides.
"On a scale of 1 to 10, in terms of improving, I'd say he's a 10," Brown said.
Dalembert is Seton Hall's career leader in blocked shots with 167. *