a1105: Louima's backers to protest (fwd)

From: JRAuguste1@aol.com

Louima's backers  to protest
Will fight ex-cop's bail in court demonstration

by Mike Claffey
Daily News Staff Writer

New York Daily News
3/6/02

Haitian community activists plan to pack a federal courtroom tomorrow to
oppose bail foe ex-cop Charles Schwarz and express outrage over an appeals
decision that overturned his convection in the Abner Louima assault case.

"He should be kept in jail until the court decides his fate," said the Rev.
Philius Nicolas, who is Louima's uncle and pastor of the Evangelical Crusade
of Fishers of Men church in Brooklyn.

"We want to show our dissatisfaction with all that has happened," Nicolas
said. "We want justice to be done."

But Schwarz's supporters are gearing up to welcome home a man they believe
has spent 2 1/2 years behind bars for a crime he didn't commit.

Schwarz's attorney, Ron Fischetti, was giddy yesterday in anticipation of
seeing his client and preparing for a new trial. "I'm hoping I'll be able to
walk out of the door of the courthouse with him." Fischetti said.

Schwarz faces a new trial on charges the he held a handcuffed Louima down
while the Haitian immigrant was assaulted by Officer Justin Volpe in a
bathroom at Brooklyn's 70th Precinct stationhouse in August 1997.

Fischetti said Schwarz's mother plans to put up her house as security for a
bail package, if required by Brooklyn Federal Judge Reena Raggi.

Molinari offers home

Former Staten Island Borough President Guy Molinari, one of Schwarz's most
vocal supporters, also has offered to put up his home to spring the ex-cop.

Fischetti said bail should not be an issue because Schwarz was freed on
$100,000 bail after his 1997 arrest.

At the time, Schwarz and his wife, Andra, put up their Staten Island house,
which they have since lost because of years of mounting legal bills.

It was not clear yesterday what position Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Alan Vinegrad
would take on the bail application.

But Nicolas and other Haitian community leaders said they intend to show up
at the hearing and oppose bail.

Nicolas said that Louima, who lives in Florida, is "very upset," with the
appeals court ruling, which ordered a new trial for Schwarz and dismissed the
convictions of former Officers Thomas Weise and Thomas Bruder.

In Washington last night, the Rev. Al Sharpton discussed the case with
members of the New York congressional delegation, including Sens. Chuck
Schumer and Hillary Clinton.

Sharpton said he expressed concern about whether the Bush administration's
new U.S. attorney in Brooklyn would be as aggressive in prosecuting the
Louima case as Vinegrad, who leaves office soon.

Bush nominated an aide to Gov. Pataki, state Inspector General Roslynn
Mauskopf, to replace Vinegrad. But she hasn't been approved by Schumer or
confirmed by the Senate.