a1136: Re: On the question of Yvon Neptune's Citizenship (fwd)

From: "[iso-8859-1] Jean Poincy" <caineve@yahoo.fr>

The question on Nepetune's citizenship is a false
problem. We place too much weight on the legality of
things in Ayitian politics while real issues are
neglected. Objectively, it does not make a difference
if Neptune is American or Ayitian!

His competence should be the prime concern. If he can
do the job and help bring Ayiti out of its misery, he
is rightly nominated. Would we make that much noise or
would we just close our eyes if there were strong
indications that he is of such a caliber? Wouldn't we
be happy of his nomination if he were a nobel prize
winner? If he were, we would never tought of
questioning his citizenship.

Eric Pierre, for instance, I don't know if he is
American or Ayitian, but this question was never
raised, why? Was it because we felt some grandeur in
the choice because he was an officer of some
PRESTIGIOUS WORLD FINANCIAL INSTITUTION or else? If
that issue was raised and I was unware of it, please
forgive me. I am trying to make the point that the
issue is  elsewhere.

If we are angry at Aristide because of his ways of
doing things, let it be, say it and talk against or
debate his political moves. Talking of legality the
way things are makes no sense, because the whole
political situation in Ayiti is in absolute violation
with the constitution. The constitutioin itself is a
violation of Ayitian citizens' rights.

Because we don't agree with Aristide and Neptune as
his right man, the latter is not the right choice.
That's no rational argument. For the man not to be
right for the job, he must show that he is
incompetent. What do we have to say that he is?
Nothing, he never even had the opportunity to prove
himself as a lawmaker.

Rejecting the choice because of the closeness between
the two men is a sign of political weakness. It is
legit for a president to choose someone that shares
his political philosophy to help him advance his
agenda. It would be pretty stupid on the part of a
president to choose someone that would undermine his
every move. If the political structure allowed a
cohabitation between the president and a political
opponent and there were tolerance, that would be a
different ball game. Even then the president would
play tooth and nail to have his own man.

I don't find anything wrong with Aristide's choice. If
we don't like it, tough!. He is in his right to do so
and he should stand by his pick. Because the
nomination is not an automatic appointment, approval
is needed from another branch of the government.
That's the Ace card Aristide's opponents should have
had.

Unfortunately having a little presence in that branch
of the government for the sake of having an opposing
voice was none of their concern. They suffered of
political myopia; boycotting was and still is their
modus operandi. Consequently, they are left with no
ammunition. No matter how fanactical or extremist
Neptune could be in his discourse, his nomination
should not create all this hoopla. The opposition
missed the train and they are going to keep missing it
with their current stance.

I think the whole thing is anger, regret and
frustration that fall under the umbrella of emotion,
the essence of Ayitian politics.

Ayiti has lived, lives and will live
Mozeb