a1147: Agriculture/Haiti (fwd)

From: Jerome Ginn <globalginn@yahoo.com>

About a year ago, I was told by a professor at a
southern Florida university, that the early colonial
British upon leaving haiti, destroyed the topsoil so
that Haitians could not grow crops.

I didn't believe him until he told me that he did his
PhD thesis on the subject.  And that the information
was "out there" but I would have to search on my own.

Well, I have and cannot find anything on the subject.
Do you have any knowledge regarding this matter? If
so, where?  If not, could you direct me to a research
source that may assist?

Best Regards,
Jerome
Los Angeles