a1152: Re: a1136: On the question of Yvon Neptune's Citizenship - Antoine responds to Poincy (fwd)

From: GUY S ANTOINE <GuyAntoine@windowsonhaiti.com>

[ From a participatory democracy to a negotiatory democracy ]

As far as I am concerned, Poincy hit the bull's eye.  Though the constitution
must be respected, in terms of its technicalities, it is a false issue when once
concentrates on a single technicality and conveniently ignores the rest of the
constitution  [such as this: does the constitution provide for parallel governments
for which the ELECTED government, whatever the irregularities transpired, like in
Florida 2000,  needs to spend its meager resources on "international community"
mandated negotiations rather than a just application of its electoral mandate? ]

You say: "Wouldn't we be happy of his nomination if he were a Nobel prize winner?"
I'll go further.  We probably would trip all over ourselves to let everyone know that
this person was Haitian, regardless of his/her real citizenship!!  You can see that
today, for example, in the rush of many Haitians to identify with Pierre Toussaint,
the "Haitian Saint".  We could come up with many similar examples.

I have seen nothing to this point to prove to me that Yvon Neptune is an American
citizen, in spite of the passport number provided by Haiti Observateur and other
copycat publications.  Why did they not provide a passport photograph to go
along with the number?  While In doing research on the internet, I have also come
with the irrefutable evidence that GUY ANTOINE was a young man from Haiti
who came to the U.S. and died on Nov 13, 1989.  This must mean that today, it
is a ghost that is typing these lines.  GUY ANTOINE is truly dead.  And I have
a social security number (595-05-1094) to prove it.

Anyway, that's all besides the point.  It would have been refreshing to see a real
debate on whether Yvon Neptune is fit to govern the country.  One would need
to examine also whether we need any Prime Minister in the first place. Is this
highest administrative position in the country utilized in the way that was intended?
If not, can it ever be so? Etc., etc.

Instead we witness the absence of any real debate, and any responsible formal
opposition in Haiti.  In fact, the current unlawful opposition leads one to wish for
something other than this failed IC (France and U.S.)-driven negotiatory democracy,
which constantly seeks the advice of high-priced consultants and no longer listens
to the real pulse, hearts and minds, of its own people. A negotiatory democracy
whose biggest PR battle will be recorded in the History books as a futile attempt
to receive Aid from the most enriched nations on earth ( our MoUnPa ) who are
hell-bent on denying it to the most impoverished nation of the Western Hemisphere
until it realizes that time has simply passed it by.

MoUnPa = Mo-st Un-reliable Pa-rtners

And we play along :  We're off to see the Wizard, the Wonderful Wizard of Aid.
Would Yvon Neptune have the capacity to swerve off this Path to Nowhere or
does his appointment represent nothing else than putting on a blue shirt in lieu
of a grey one?  Will Aristide let him govern and succeed or fail on his own merits?
Will the President stop his preoccupation with appeasement of the international
bodies?   Fanmi Lavalas made a colossal mistake in May 2000, in being too
stubborn to make any concession to the opposition but has been FORCED
since to make twenty times as many concessions than were originally asked
for... except that the self-styled opposition has been too greedy itself to accept
them.  And so we keep on playing this game of qui perd gagne with the Haitian
people being the ultimate loser.

At this time, Haiti needs A REAL PRIME MINISTER who can make real
decisions away from the cacophony of how many pounds of flesh to exact
for May 2000.  And Aristide needs to deliver on the cornerstones of the original
Lavalas movement, and Justice in particular.  How the President and the Prime
Minister work it out between themselves is still a mystery to me, but one thing
for sure, the Prime Minister needs to step up to a larger and more decisive role.

Can Yvon Neptune be that man?  That's what I would like to know.

Poincy, I want to let you know that I appreciate the fine points you have
made on this list, though they will likely be lost in the current highly toxic
atmosphere permeating Haitian politics and any discussion thereof.

Regards,
Guy S. Antoine