a1170: Re: a1156: Re: a1143: An appeal and encouragement for a broader range of posting (fwd)

From: Jim Frisken <jfrisken@hotmail.com>

I'm glad to see Bob request a broader range of postings to the list.  I
suspect that many with cultural interests don't stay on this list long as
the list has changed (degenerated ?) into one devoted almost exclusively to
political bickering.  Folks whose main interest in life is politics (or
other forms of evangelism) seem to only be interested in their own mantra.
It's unlikely that someone who perhaps considers half of the list to be
morons (those who don't share the same political views), or to be Satanists
(those who defend Haitian / African / Black culture) is going risk diluting
their message by talking about something as  frivolous  as music, art,
recipes etc.  I personally think that this is a mistake.  Missionaries in
particular could share some of their  non religious experiences in Haiti and
come across as being much more human and less as members of an invading army
waging war against Haitian culture, as one might deduce from some recent
posts.

Is this the only list dealing with Haiti?  It does seem strange that this
list has been unable to maintain a broader range of interests.   For
example,  I'm on four English language lists devoted exclusively to
Brazilian music, three of which are devoted to only one style of this music.
  Many of these folks travel back and forth to Brazil and give detailed
accounts of their trips, including the types of information that Bob
suggested might be of interest on this list.  Being  on the Brazilian lists
is like being a member of an extended family.  Recently, being on the
Corbett list list is more like subscribing to a very opinionated newspaper,
at times a good source of information, but not a warm and friendly place to
share experiences.