a1180: Re: Travel safety (fwd)

From:  Martha O'Brien <mmcpeob@earthlink.net>

In May I am planning to take a small group of people to Haiti (more or less 10 people).  We will be staying with the Little Sisters of the Incarnation in Pandiassou for most of the trip but, of course, need to pass through Port-au-Prince when arriving and departing the country.  Some of the people in the group are students from the university where I teach and, not surprisingly, some of their parents are worried about safety and security, having read all sorts of reports about how "all Haitians hate Americans" and that Haiti is a "terrorist country."  Obviously I can refute these ideas based on my own experience; however, it would be helpful to be able to forward some information to these parents from people who are actually living in Haiti right now.  What I am asking is:
     1)  Opinions (pro and con--if it really is too dangerous, we won't take the trip)
     2)  Permission to forward your answers to the parents of my students.

I know that several of you replied to Nancy Casey in December and/or wrote opinions regarding the US Embassy or whatever body published really negative information a couple of months ago.  I apologize for coming to the list again for much the same info; but, in addition to the issue of permission to forward, I would like to have the most up-to-date info possible.

Thank you--
Martha O'Brien