a1195: Here's The text of the Haiti portion of Asst. Secretary Reich speech at a CSIS event (fwd)

From: Stanley Lucas <slucas@iri.org>

March 12 - 2002
Haiti.  In many ways, this is the most vexing challenge in the hemisphere.
It is a country that is suffering the cumulative effects of 200 years of bad
leadership commanding a predatory state.  The current regime in power is
only the most recent manifestation of that 200-year history.  Breaking this
cycle is Haiti's biggest challenge.

Our policy in the short- to medium-run is focused on supporting the
Organization of American States' efforts to help the government and the
opposition reach an accord to break the most recent political impasse, which
is now almost two-years old.  We are constantly seeking ways to encourage
both sides to negotiate seriously and in good faith.  Reaching an agreement
is only part of the answer, though.  Ensuring compliance with any
arrangement the parties arrive at will be essential.  It will be a major
determinant of success.

Mitigating humanitarian distress is another immediate priority.  We will
continue providing generous amounts of humanitarian assistance through
non-governmental organizations.  In the longer-run, we hope to help the
Haitian people create a democratically competitive political environment, in
which human and civil rights are respected and in which economic growth
becomes possible.