a1209: Spelling of Haiti

From: Pdesrosi@aol.com

The name Haiti or Ayiti did not figured in Columbus log of Sunday,
November 4, 1492. He wrote
that he was told that an infinite amount of gold could be found by going
to the southeast in
a place called Bohio meaning home. Again, in his log book entry of
Tuesday, December 11,
1492, he speaks about " the Tainos of Hispagnola/Kyskeya, Bohio indicating
that there is a
continental land behind la Hispagnola, which the Tainos called Caritaba.

I am all for the theory that the name D' Ayiti toma was an FonGbe name
D'Ayi te Tome meaning
country be alert or the land that we have to protect. (Or for some others
the land of the
children of Ayi)