a1237: Re: a1218: (a1210): Small businesses: Chamberlain asks (fwd)

From: Lois E Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

I don't recall the words "skills bank," but I do know a United
States-based Haitian lawyer who organized a pool of more than 200 Haitian
and Haitian American lawyers to work as volunteers in a legal clinic
around 1995.  Their first project would have benefitted Haitian
prisoners.  Clinton was putting forth the notion that "Haitians help
Haitians," so she was stunned when a certain prominent U.S. agency became
her major stumbling block.  It literally forced her to abandon the
project.  I'm not naming her and the agency, because she's not on this
list, and we haven't talked about sharing the story here.  But she has
written and publicly performed a play about it.

Lois Wilcken, Ph.D.
La Troupe Makandal - The Center for Haitian Drum and Dance in New York
621 Rutland Road, Brooklyn NY 11203
718-953-6638 / makandal-ny@juno.com
www.makandal.org