a1241: BBC: Haiti: Senator says Neptune's Haitian citizenship must be proved "absolutely" (fwd)

From: Robert Benodin <r.benodin@worldnet.att.net>

Haiti: Senator says Neptune's Haitian citizenship must be proved
"absolutely"
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Mar 14, 2002

 [Francois - recording] The dossier of the process to ratify Senator Yvon
Neptune as prime minister seems to be moving very fast in the Senate. But
the big question is the possible US citizenship of Senator Neptune. It is
true that Neptune has presented all the required papers, but there are
rumours about that. Is it a concern for you, as a senator of the republic?
[Prince] Certainly. We must prove absolutely that Senator Neptune has never
acquired another citizenship. We have two ways to go about that. We can
either get him to submit an affidavit or we can ask the US embassy for
information on the issue. I think that the commission that is working on the
dossier must provide proof of that kind to the [National] Assembly.
The commission must prove that Neptune has never acquired another country's
citizenship. It is a constitutional responsibility, and the Senate, as a
legislative institution, cannot make a decision that contradicts the
constitution. We are in a situation where the constitution should decide and
that is what will happen. It is a must... [End of recording]
Source: Radio Metropole, Port-au-Prince, in French 1145 gmt 12 Mar 02
/BBC Monitoring/ © BBC.