a1250: Hurricane Frederic & Jacmel: Slavin (fwd)

From: PSlavin@unicefusa.org

I think I am correct when writing that Frederic in '79 did major damage to
the Jacmel beachfront, well before I started traveling to Haiti. But I've
been told the Jacmel town beach used to be quite deep, that from the
Jacmellian Hotel there was more than 100 meters of beach, maybe more,
before coming to the sea. After Frederic and up until today, it is 30
meters, max. I've heard in town that if Frederic had kept up for another
hour(s) or so, a lot of the wonderful colonial district  would have been
threatened. Writing  of Jacmel, does anyone know if work has been done to
make Jacmel a UNESCO World Heritage site? Of the many I've visited --
Trinidad, Cuba for example -- Jacmel should be a great candidate. These
UNESCO designations also do wonders for the tourism business -- it's a big
draw.

Patrick
JOIN THE UNITY CHAIN! Spread a message of hope and optimism by joining the
unity chain!  For each person who joins as we circle around the globe,
Coca-Cola  will donate one dollar to the U.S. Fund for UNICEF (up to
$100,000)  to save and improve children's lives around the world! LINK
HERE: http://www.unity.coca-cola.com