a1262: Pina responds to Chamberlain (fwd)

From: kevin pina <kpinbox@hotmail.com>

I figured I would use Pina in the subject line to make it more efficient for
those who choose not to participate in this discussion. Simply hit your
delete button now. That is, afterall, the beauty and freedom of this medium,
read what you wish and simply delete the rest.

Elegant simplicity. Ever onward.

Chamberlain wrote:

"Haiti urgently needs political compromises, but no deal should be
>made with those who readily use violence to gain their ends,
>such as Tousasaint (whether or not he is involved in
>the Dominique murder, though Judge Gassant says he is but has
>unfortunately been obliged to flee the country after constant threats
>-- I wonder who from?... and anyway been pushed out of his job by
>the government -- I wonder why?).  Or with advocates of violence
>such as René Civil and Paul Raymond (also defended recently by
>our legal correspondent), who have warrants out for their arrest
>which the police are simply too frightened to execute".

Greg,

A source within the Ministry of Interior says that the warrants for the
arrest of Civil and Raymond were lifted quite sometime ago. Civil and
Raymond publicly attended court as recently as the week of February 4th to
answer civil charges brought against them by Guyler C. Delva of the
Association of Haitian Journalists.

Let me make it clear that I have no reason to defend anyone who advocates
violence but fair is fair. Unfortunately, Judge Gassant publicly leaked his
theories to the press without ever providing any tangible evidence to prove
them.  So far everyone discussed, with relationship to this matter, has
already been tried in the court of public opinion without ever having been
given a chance to view material evidence against them. If Gassant had a
"smoking gun" many believe he certainly would have leaked it as well to back
up his investigative trajectory. In all fairness to Gassant, the Haitian and
international press have also played a less than responsible role in
reporting allegations that have succeeded in creating a lot more smoke than
fire. It is my sincere desire that this case be put back on track as soon as
possible so that justice may be served. It seems the only way to do that now
is to provide disclosure of the evidence so that events can proceed without
further delay.

As for the spirit of compromise you have called for, what of the numerous
concessions made by Lavalas to resolve issues related to the elections of
May 2000. I don't believe I have ever heard you comment upon or acknowledge
those concessions. I wonder if you also really believe that the position
taken by the Convergence, to not recognize the legitimacy of the current
constitutional government, represents the spirit of compromise you so
desperately wish to see? Where do you see the necessary middle ground here
that is so essential to compromise, particularly, since you have made it
clear on numerous occasions that you question the democratic credentials of
the current Haitian government.How would you suggest a compromise be
brokered that represents the interests of the electorate, or that they will
accept for that matter, given that the longer they are forced to suffer the
more militant they become?

The far greater violence in this country is the grinding poverty its people
are being subjected to by my government's foreign policy. A policy in
support of a small unpopular coalition, itself a creature of the same
initiative, whose greater constituency resides in Washington and not in
Haiti. So if we want to talk about not making deals with those who advocate
violence perhaps we should start by excluding George Fauriol and Otto Reich.
Oh I forgot, they are not really involved now are they?

kp