a1265: The Coalition of People's Organizations, a FL grassroots organization, disagrees with the choice of Neptune as prime minister. (fwd)

From: Robert Benodin <r.benodin@worldnet.att.net>

Haiti: Highlights of Signal FM Radio news1230 gmt 14 Mar 02
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Mar 15, 2002

2. By presidential order signed by President Jean-Bertrand Aristide on 13
March, Yvon Neptune has officially been named prime minister. "We are
working on the [government policy] document. We have an entire team working
with us to prepare the document." Neptune hopes that he will be able to
present his statement of general policy to the parliament by the end of the
week. He adds that the document that will serve as the basis for his
statement of general policy is the political programme of the Lavalas
Family, FL. He speaks of the various difficulties faced by the Lavalas
regime. (3 min)
3. Neptune's nomination has not stopped giving rise to comments. The
Alternative for Change, AC, does not understand why Aristide designated
Neptune as prime minister. "In my opinion, the designation of Neptune to
replace Cherestal does not change anything." AC leader Gerard Blot thinks
that this will cause the crisis to worsen. He foresees problems between the
next OAS mission and the Neptune government. Blot mentions the statements by
the US diplomats on their change of policy towards the Lavalas regime. (4
min)
4. Report by Jean-Claudy Saint-Cyr: The Coalition of People's Organizations,
a FL grassroots organization, disagrees with the choice of Neptune as prime
minister. Luckner Delusme, a spokesman for this group, says: "We say that
the people's sector must have a seat around the table. We say we do not
support the choice of Neptune as prime minister. We need somebody who can
gather the opposition, as well as Lavalas, around the same table. We need a
prime minister who can have all those people sit together. One fact is
certain: we disagree with the choice, and we will fight it." (3 min)
6. Report by Jean-Pierre Leroy, Signal FM's special correspondent in
Fortaleza, Brazil: IDB President Enrique Iglesias says he is very concerned
about the situation that prevails in Haiti today. He is happy with the econo
mic performance of the Latin American countries after the latest economic
recession. He said that he was very optimistic as to the normalization of
the political situation in Haiti. He hopes the OAS human rights organization
that will come to Haiti soon will improve the situation. (5 min)
8. The OAS group called Friends of Haiti met at the beginning of the week.
They have agreed to provide funds for the next OAS mission to Haiti,
according to Sergio Romero Cuevas, the representative of the OAS secretary
general in Haiti. (4 min)
10. Economic segment by Georges Henry, Jr.: IMF Bulletin 121, on the
economic profile of the Dominican Republic, shows that after 10 years of
stagnation, this country started a great economic growth as of the year
1995. Henry explains that this economic growth is essentially due to the
economic reforms undertaken by the Dominican Government, including the
development of tourism and the setting up of free zones. (4 min)
12. Otto Reich, undersecretary of state for American Affairs, says those
involved among others in corruption, drug trafficking, and human rights
violations will be denied visas to enter the United States. (2 min)
13. On the occasion of the 14th anniversary of the Saint-Jean Bosco
Grassroots Church Communities, TKL, Paul Raymond says he is proud of his
organization. The Saint-Jean Bosco TKL leader explains that they are
fighting because the riches of the land are not shared properly. He says he
will continue to demand justice for the peasants of Piatte against people
like former Haitian Chamber of Commerce and Industry President Olivier
Nadal. (4 min)
15. Abraham Saieh, owner of a hotel located in Petite-Place Cazeau,
denounces a plot to arrest him under the pretext that he set fire to the
skeleton of a car. He adds that those who want him jailed hope to get money
from him after his imprisonment. (3 min)
16. Hans Garoute, president of the National Institute for the Promotion of
Dressmaking, discusses the efforts that should be made to improve the
situation of professional dressmakers. He comments on changing technology
and equipment for improved dressmaking performance. (2 min)
Source: Signal FM Radio, Port-au-Prince, in Creole 1230 gmt 14 Mar 02
/BBC Monitoring/ © BBC.