a1285: Re: Perjury - Yvon Neptune (#a1248;#1138) (fwd)

From: amedard@gte.net

>  If
> Neptune is Haitian he cannot have double nationality because the present
> Haitian constitution does not allow such.
>
> Presently Neptune can have double nationality but with none of the nations
> being Haiti because Haiti, at the time of this writing, does not allow double
> nationality for its citizens.

I have friends who were Chinese nationals and who recently became U.S. citizens.
When they were naturalized and pledged allegiance to the United States of America,
they had to relinquish their Chinese citizenship and Chinese passports to the
American officials.  It would seem strange if Haitians became naturalized U.S.
citizens and were allowed to keep their Haitian passports.

I know one Haitian who took his American passport when he turned 18, but when he
returned to Haiti a few years later, he paid some insider make him a Haitian
passport.  This way he could keep his American rights and protection, and gain
certain investment funding requiring American citizenship (OPIC, for example,
requires that x% of a business be owned by an American citizen), but that person is
also able to enjoy the same land and business opportunities as other Haitians, in
Haiti.  When traveling between the Haiti and the States, he uses his American
passport; but when traveling between Haiti and Cuba, he uses his Haitian passport.  I
think Haitians need to determine if they want to be Haitian citizens or U.S. (or
wherever) citizens.  Seems to me that too many are confused and don't know to whom
they _honestly_ want to pledge allegiance ... seems there's more of a convenience
thing going on, than honest and faithful allegiance.  There are two faces ...