a1291: Nationality issues (fwd)

From: Joe Allen <jaallen1@bellsouth.net>

Re: nationality issues

  In the past two weeks, discussions on nationality have been plentiful.
Neptune's case has been a good catalyst for the beginning of a debate on
this important issue.  Unfortunately, by next week when the next cabinet is
in place, we will have dropped the issue.
      In reading a few posts, I detect misconceptions about two issues: the
amendment to the Haitian constitution and the requirements for candidacy to
high offices.
    Even if introduced and passed, the amendments to the constitution would
not be effective before February 7, 2006.  The constitution is clear on the
subject.  The amendments may be introduced by either the executive or the
legislative branch at the last ordinary session of the legislature.  They
can only be debated and voted on at the first session of the next
legislature.  After passage, the amendments will only be effective under the
term of the following president (article 284).  Best case scenario, February
7, 2006.  On important point:  a 2/3 majority is required in both chambers
to introduce and vote for the amendment.   We may not have 2/3 of the
senators in office after Mr. Neptune's expected resignation from the senate
takes place.  If it is so, the best case scenario moves to February, 2011.
Let us remember that despite their sweet talk, the Lavalas have not even
come close to introducing the proposals for the amendments.
    Now to the thorny issue of dual or multiple nationalities.  I do not
believe that a person holding a foreign passport will ever be admitted to
the presidency, "primature" or the senate in Haiti, much to the chagrin of
many.  I am in support of private citizens enjoying multiple nationalities
with all the advantages they offer, but the highest offices in the land
should be held by Haitians who have not sworn fidelity to foreign nations.
This is the standard in most countries.
 A different level of commitment applies to those positions, and that is the
way it should be.

    Joseph A. Allen, DDS
    Miami, FL