a1286: Haitian Americans need better representation (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Miami Herald, Letter to the Editor

Posted on Sat, Mar. 16, 2002

Haitian Americans need better representation

Miami-Dade County's Haitian-American community often is misunderstood. We
support the redistricting proposal to increase the number of county
commission districts to 15 from 13 because it will help us be good citizens
-- citizens who are engaged, who have a voice and who will celebrate that
great touchstone of democracy -- the vote.

Over the past two decades, Miami-Dade has enjoyed explosive growth. But the
booming economy and seemingly endless supply of opportunities have bypassed
many Haitian Americans. Census data document this, revealing a significant
gap between Haitians and other residents in virtually every socio-economic
measurement.

One reason is because our political voice is feeble. While our numbers are
growing, our representation is not. The commission redistricting map
currently being considered does nothing to strengthen that voice because it
divides the community into four different commission districts. Although we,
like any other large group, have diverse views, the Haitian-American
community is bound by several common concerns and objectives. Fair
representation on the county commission is likely only if the community has
the numerical strength to elect a caretaker for our needs. That way, we will
have access to the opportunities that we need to thrive and prosper.

After years of silence, the Haitian-American community is eager to become a
full participant in local government. Therefore, why should the proposal be
controversial? Equal representation is the cornerstone of American
democracy. It means that every resident of Miami-Dade County should be able
to vote for someone who is not only representative in title, but in thought
and deed.

Miami-Dade County officials should view expanding the commission to 15
members as an opportunity to increase participation in the electoral
process.

JEAN-ROBERT LAFORTUNE

Chairman,
Haitian American