a1313: Re: a1199: Subject Matter of Corbett List Posts (fwd)

From: LeGrace Benson <legrace@twcny.rr.com>

Response to Dorce:  In urging more discussion of the arts and cultural
matters I may hae been understood to be urging the list toward a sentimental
fell good approach to Haiti, Haitians and the vicissitudes of Haitian life.
I will try to clarify my message: I am notsuggesting cocktail chatter about
how lovely a meal, how fine a painting, how delightful a story.  That is
immediately to trivialize the arts/cutlure.  When I am not about to go out
the door to Germany where actual mechanisms for change are to be the subject
of discussion followed by action, I hope to present a postion quite opposite
to that of idle chatter about "beautiful things."
To be brief here:  The arts are NOT, as some have claimed ,"superstructure."
They do more than "reflect" or "express" what is happening to the artist and
her/his surrounding environment.  The arts are actually a necessary part of
our social infrastructure, and without them we shall perish.  Yes, perish.
The beauties of art may seduce us into recognizing and coming to terms with
the dangers and horrors; seduce us into right behaviour. A delicious meal
developed out of old  wisdom about food appropriate to the time and place
may seduce us into a nutritious diet that will enable life.  Or may not. But
in any case the arts have such profound functions that I would like t
oinsist that to marginalize them is to put ourselves, including our
politics, at deep risk.

Artists enable us to arrive at understandings we would not have otherwise
reached.  We have before us now some politicians who have not followed any
of those leads, are not reflective, hence are unable to lead with any depth,
resonance or SAFETY.

I shall try to make the case when I return.

LeGrace
legrace@twcny.rr.com